About Mechanical Engineering
he Department of Mechanical Engineering was established in 1958 and is one of the oldest departments in the University of Malaya. Many graduates from this department have moved on to become successful individuals in government and private sectors who have contributed to the growth of the nation. Some of them also participated actively in the professional bodies. The Department of Mechanical Engineering currently offers two undergraduate programmes, Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical) and Bachelor of Engineering (Materials).
The Bachelor of Engineering (Materials) programme commenced in the academic session of 1996/1997. The undergraduate intake was taken from both the students that completed the matriculation course and STPM (Form Six). Both degrees require a minimum of four years to complete and the students are required to undergo 10 weeks of industrial training. The undergraduate programmes offered by the Department of Mechanical Engineering are accredited by Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam (JPA) and Lembaga Kejuruteraan Malaysia (BEM).
In the first Engineering Accreditation Council (EAC) evaluation in 2004, both of the programmes were awarded full accreditation (5 years). There are stringent staff recruitment criteria for academic staffs and their number is increasing, in order to comply with the EAC requirement (staff to student ratio of 1:15). In addition to undergraduate programmes, the department also offers the degree in Master of Engineering, Master of Engineering Science and Doctor of Philosophy in both mechanical and materials engineering programmes.
In order to ensure that the Department of Mechanical Engineering continually strives to produce successful engineers who are able to excel on the global stage,the department implements a series of continuous quality improvement measures. The academic and supporting staffs are supported in their career development through various training courses, workshops, seminars and conferences. The academic staff in the Department of Mechanical Engineering comprises of experienced individuals with various disciplines in the mechanical and materials engineering fields. Some of them have gained relevant industrial experiences before joining the department.
On top of teaching, the academic staffs involve extensively in research, publication, patent filing and invention fair (MTE, ITEX, iENA, etc.), in line with the university status as the research university. Several research grants have been secured such as MOHE-High Impact Research Grant, UMRG, PRGS, ERGS, FRGS, eScience Fund and Techno Fund. Some of the staffs have also been awarded international grant under their collaboration with international researchers. The academic staffs have also published a lot of articles in high ranked ISI journals, presented their research works and invited as speakers in international seminars and conferences. The department also established two research centers which are the Centre for Energy Sciences and Centre of Research for Advanced Materials.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering aspires:
- To impart in graduates solid knowledge of engineering fundamentals, principles and application.
- To instil in graduates a sense of accountability and responsibility to the environment and society with respect to professional ethics, social conduct and the environment.
- To equip graduates with the ability to apply critical thinking to identify, formulate and solve mechanical engineering problems.
- Lubricity and tribo-properties improvement studies of biodiesel fuel produced from various oil sources.
- Palm diesel properties enhancement for automotive applications.
- Time-based/transient simulation of engine coolant peak temperature following key-off.
- Large deflection thermo-mechanical analysis and simulation of functionally graded piezoelectric pipes (FGPP) based on shear deformation theory.
- Thermal analysis and fatigue crack propagation in welded aluminium alloy 2024 in case of transient and steady state condition.
- Experimental and theoretical investigation of hospital operating room air distribution in the tropics.
Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering
Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Materials)
Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Manufacturing)
Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Product Design)
Head of Department
T: (603) 7967 5204 / 7637
F: (603) 7967 5317